The Veterans United Foundation Scholarship creates opportunities for service members and military families to achieve their educational dreams. The scholarship program, launched in 2012, is fully funded by contributions from Veterans United Home Loans and its employees.
Spring 2016 Scholarship Information
In spring 2016, Veterans United Foundation will award up to three (3) scholarships to eligible recipients. Each award is for up to $20,000 and is nonrenewable.
To be eligible for this scholarship award, applicants must be:
- A surviving spouse or child of a deceased Veteran of the U.S. Military
- Currently enrolled or planning to enroll in a college or university by the fall semester of 2016
- Pursuing an associate’s, bachelor’s, graduate, post-graduate or doctoral degree
- Comfortable with sharing personal stories and aspirations with Veterans United Foundation
- Willing and able to provide the following within 1-2 days of requests made by staff of Veterans United Foundation:
*Deceased parent or spouse's military documents (DD214 and death certificate / or DD1300)
*Full FAFSA submission
- Willing and able to provide Veterans United Foundation with receipts or invoices related to eligible educational costs as they are incurred in order to receive payment. Eligible costs include tuition, books, fees, school materials and some aspects of room and board as determined by Veterans United Foundation. Payments may be made directly to the school or reimbursed to the award recipient.
Awards will be given based on the following criteria:
- A 2-3 page typed essay telling your story, how losing your spouse or parent has affected you, explaining who you are, where your life has taken you and what you hope to pursue through your college education and beyond
- Financial need, as determined by the Veterans United Foundation awards team and based on full FAFSA submission
- Community, church, sports, or school involvement or achievements
- Any additional information you would like to have considered (may include photos, drawings, poems, additional writings, etc.)
- Application period starts on March 7, 2016, at 8 a.m. CST
- Winners will be notified via email or phone by April 22
- Due to a high volume in applications, Veterans United Foundation will accept a limited number of application submissions this semester. Once that number has been met, the application link will be closed and no more applications will be accepted. If the application count does not reach the maximum number of submissions allowed by Veterans United Foundation, the application link will close on Friday, April 1, 2016, at 5 p.m. CST.
How to apply:
- Starting on March 7, 2016, at 8 a.m. CST, a link to the spring 2016 scholarship application will be available on this scholarship page.
- Follow the link and fill out all portions of the application, attaching all requested documents.
- Failure to answer all questions or provide all documentation could deem an application ineligible.
- Once submitted, NO confirmation email will be sent to the applicant. Any requests from applicants asking for verification of submission will not be granted.
- Subsequently, no direct notification will be sent to the applicants who were not chosen as a winner of the scholarship.
- Winners of the scholarship will be contacted directly via email or phone and asked for a series of documentations to verify eligibility.